‘Utopian Realism’ is an exploration of rural utopianism, idealism and industrialism in the North East of England and Mid Wales by the artists Mair Hughes and Bridget Kennedy.

Sunday 25 March 2012

layers of information, layers of time




The sculpture I am making will be the word STRATA constructed in three dimensions, so naturally I've been pondering the meaning of this word. Whilst looking round the mining institute, I was struck by the amount of information there is in that one room, layer upon layer of it.

I took several photos of the book spines on the shelves, particularly liked the title "The Granite Controversy" conjures up images of political scandals and infidelities all documented through grainy black and white photos shot with telescopic lenses. I didn't look inside but I have a feeling it isn't like that ....

No comments:

Post a Comment